Monday, March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014 - The dog ate my shoe!!

I'm sorry!  I didn't take a lot of pictures this week!  I should have!  And you'll see why.  Or read why.  You get the idea.

So, this week has been AMAZING.  Both Sister Robinson and I have been studying about obedience this week.  And as we've been striving to be more obedient, we have been very blessed in several ways.

We officially picked up the Halls as a new investigator this week!  Their names are Heather and Joshua.  Sadly, Joshua doesn't count as an investigator because he's 8, but they're both are like "let's get baptized now!".  So, we're going to go teach them every Tuesday and Thursday and get them baptized soon.  They're both super sweet kids.  Heather is 9, super involved in Girl Scouts, and when we asked her why she wanted to get baptized, she just simply replied "A lot of my family is, so why shouldn't I?"  I love it!  It's not even a thought to NOT get baptized!  I can't wait to work with them a little more.  The mom, Brittany, is nice too, and wants to be active in the church again.  But it doesn't sound like the dad is really interested at the moment.  I'm not quite sure if he's a member or not, but with the rest of his family wanting to go to church, he's bound to become interested at some point, yeah?

But sadly, Mary is not progressing.... she started smoking again, and she fell down her stairs, so she's had a hard time getting out of bed, which means it's been hard to get to church.  When we went to go visit with her, she just asked us to pray with her, and she wanted me to say the prayer.  As I said the prayer, I was filled so strongly with the Spirit.  By the end of it, I think all three of us were almost in tears.  And as we left, we knew that we gave Mary what she needed to hear in that moment.  Then Sister Alder, who was going to give Mary a ride to church, told us of the conversation she had with Mary before she came to church.  Sister Alder had stopped by before church to see how Mary was doing, and through out the conversation, she kept saying "I should have gotten up to go to church.  I've been wanting to meet new people and friends so bad."  While she couldn't make it to church this week, she's not going to let her smoking hold her back anymore.  And she said that she was really going to commit to quitting smoking again.  I have complete faith in her-- she's been desiring to change her life for good for so long; I know that she will be able to do so.

And Destinee-- her baptism date is being moved up!  When she realized that she had softball clinics on the fifteenth, she knew that the date had to be moved.  She started looking at later dates, but between softball and lacross and school, nothing was going to be open.  SO!  We're going to have her baptism THIS SATURDAY!  HOLY SNOT!  SO EXCITING!!!!  I just love her desire to be baptized. The ward has been so good about fellowshipping her and making sure she's involved in YW, and I think that has really helped.  

Also, we got to feed baby lambs this week.

..... I bet you're wishing for photos, but.........

I forgot to bring my camera with me that day.  Bummer.

There's a lady in the South Slope ward, Sister Bennett, and she has a little farm full of goats, sheep, and Chihuahuas. (No, seriously, she has 15+ Chihuahuas.  She breeds them, so there's at least 15 of them at a time.)  When we ate dinner at her house the other night, there was a couple from Jerome, ID that came and bought 6 of the baby lambs for a petting zoo, so dinner ran a little long.  Poor Sister Bennett hadn't even had a chance to sit down and eat dinner and it was time to feed some of the lambs she keeps in the house!  (She keeps some of them in the house to nurse them back to health.)  So, we offered to feed the lambs while she ate.  It was super fun!  We told her that she could call for our help anytime, so maybe at some point you'll have pictures of us feeding baby lambs or goats (coming soon!).


And.... my shoes.

...... yup.  A puppy got them.   It wasn't one of Sister Bennett's though.  There's this family, called the Earls, and they have this puppy named Jake.  And I was stupid enough to take off my shoes last night when we were there to send progress records to our ward mission leaders.




...... need I say more?  Jake now will have some new chew toys.  Soon.  Very soon.  It was sweet-- Sister Earl felt so bad and was like "We owe you new shoes!"

.... but, strangely enough, it doesn't matter.  I don't care that Jake chewed up the one shoe-- even though they were expensive.  It's just like, "Eh, I have other shoes to wear.  I'll just make sure he doesn't chew those ones up too."  It's so interesting-- things that would have mattered before, like a chewed up pair of 100 dollar shoes-- they don't matter anymore.  And it's because I'm doing His work.  I understand that it's not going to interfere with what I'm trying to do out here.  I understand that those shoes aren't my entire life and that it represents who-knows-what.  All they are is a pair of shoes.

By the ways, do you know how weird it is to say that your brother chewed up your shoes?  Just saying.

Anyways, I love y'all, and I just want to let you know that I'm doing well.  I still love it out here, and I'm working as hard as ever.

Hope you guys are doing well too!

Love,

Sister Empey

No comments:

Post a Comment