Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March 17, 2014 - Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!!!!!!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!!!!!!!

Well, now that I have that  out of the way....

This week was like.... crazy.

I went to my first Zone Conference!!!  Talk about crazy.  There were so many people!  SO MANY.  There were like...... 6 zones there.  And considering that each zone has approximately 16 people in it..... yeah.  A lot of people.  So, we left at 7:30 to get there at 9 AM, and the meeting didn't finish until 4:30 PM.

I think it was the longest day of my mission so far.

Not that it was bad!   It was actually really good!  There was this talk from Elder Holland that we read, about Teaching the Atonement, and it was SO GOOD!  I loved it!  But being around that many people for that amount of time is a lot.  Especially when it's all the same people.  Even though it was like a semi-MTC district reunion (along with Sister Johnston and I, Sister Clemons, and Elders Sorenson, Horne, and Sulka were there too), which was awesome to see them again, I was done by the end of the day.   I was tired!  It was kind of nice to go back to teaching people for the second half of the night.

And then the next morning, we had District meeting.  Good golly Moses.  In my book, not fair.  But the night before was sort of fun.  So, the Horseshoe Bend Sisters, didn't want to back up to.... Sweet.... yeah, Sweet.  They didn't want to drive back up to Sweet after Zone Conference only to turn around the next morning to come down for District meeting, so they just spent the night with us!  Since we were already going on Splits with the South Slope Ward on Thurday night, we just included them with us.  So Sister Clegg came with me on splits, and we taught Destinee her last lesson-- tithing.  Ooh!  I'm so excited for her!  She's being baptized next week!  YAY!  Anyways, after splits, we all met back up and went to Sister Bennett's home, because she needed some help.  It was a lot of fun to be at her house!  She had the other three sisters work on cooking a meal that she needed to make for someone, and I rubbed her feet.

Can I just say that it was so nice to be able to do service like that?  Just to rub someones feet?  And all four of us sisters agreed she needed that.  She seemed so over stressed, that I could literally watch the stress melt off of her as I rubbed her feet.  I know that doing things like cooking meals and cleaning houses and raking leaves is important service, and it is lots of fun to do that, but sometimes I have a hard time really seeing the effect of doing that.  It was nice to really see the effect of my service for someone.

Oh, and also, I have a namesake at her home now.  She breeds Chihuahuas, and she named the newest puppy that she's keeping after me.  :D  I totally fell in love with that puppy when I first went over to her house-- I seriously held it for about 3/4ths of the time I was there.  And she comes to me first when Sis. Rob and I go over.   Feeling pretty proud of myself.

And she now says that whenever I come over, I'm going to have to rub her feet.  Nice to know I haven't lost the touch yet!

So, District meeting was good, and we had a bbq after for lunch.  And there's a good story to go along with why we had a bbq for our district lunch.

Last Sunday, both Sister Robinson and I really wanted to go on a picnic.  So, we basically nagged everyone to join us on one last Monday.   So, despite the fact that it was raining, we packed up our little charcoal grill and met the Sisters and Elders Olsen and Ross at the Stake pavilion.  (For some reason, the Soup Elders couldn't/wouldn't join us.)

WELL..............  we forgot to bring plates and utensils, and we couldn't get the charcoal to light up.  So, it sort of ended up being a junk food fest where we played with tennis balls.  It was still super fun though!

So, the Elders promised us that we would have grilled chicken for district lunch this week.  Since we couldn't have it on Monday.

Anyways, end of that story.

Saturday was actually a pretty fun day too.  We went over to Connie Draper's home to clean and rearrange her living room (yay!  PANTS!), and then afterward, South Slope had a spring carnival going on, so we went to that to eat dinner and see if any less actives or investigators would come.  Sadly, there were no less actives or investigators, but there was lots of grilled food.  And cotton candy.  LOTS OF IT.

... yeah.  It was fun. :)

We also gained a new investigator Sunday!   The Letha Elders (Olsen and Ross), gave us a couple of referrals.  This one has a cool story to go with it.  Sherri Haskins car broke down, and Brother Walker (one of the many Walkers in Emmett), stopped to help her.  He gave her a Book of Mormon to read with his number, telling her that if she ever wanted to know more, she could give him a call.  Well, she called him, and the Walkers had her over to dinner with the Elders.  And when the Elders told her that there were Sister missionaries, she asked if we could go visit her!  And so the Elders gave her our number, and we got to meet her last night.  And it was AWESOME.  Both she and her son, Isaiah, were reading the Book of Mormon, and praying to know if it was true!  So, we went over the Restoration a little bit.  It was so neat to see how the conversation went.  Sister Robinson felt really prompted to talk to her about the priesthood, so we talked about how the gospel needed to be restored because we lost the priesthood power on the earth.  And then I felt really strongly impressed to invite her to baptism.  Like, the words were pressed against my teeth and I needed to invite her in that moment kind of impression.  So, I took a deep breath in, said a little prayer for courage in my heart, and asked her.  At first, she said that she had been baptized twice, and she was worried about it because you should only need to be baptized once.  Sister Robinson gave this amazing answer to her worry, which was how she needed the priesthood authority for the baptism to be authentic.  And then Sherri said that if that was what God wanted her to, that she would be baptized!  It was so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She is so willing to learn, and wants to please God so bad!  I just love her!!!!!

Also, Mary came to church again yesterday.  We're hoping to set a baptism date for her next week.  Cross your fingers!

Anyways, it's been a busy week out here.  But it's been a good week.  I'm so grateful that both Sister Robinson and I have the same desire to be out here, and to make this mission all that we can make it, because I know that if we didn't, we would not have the kind of experiences we have had.  If we weren't constantly reminding each other to be exactly obedient, to listen to the Spirit, and to lift each other up and remind each other of how amazing we are, and that we are here to do the Lords work, that we would not make a good companionship.  I love it out here in Emmett, and I love the people out here.  And I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to bring my greatest joy into the homes of others.  And that joy is the gospel.

I love you all, and I'll see you before you know it!

Love,

Sister Empey


PS-- I PROMISE that there will be pictures next week!  After all, there is a baptism. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment